Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Hairballs and Floods

Oi querida família e queridos amigos! Como estão?!

Well, this week we had a lot of rain. Like a lot lot lot of rain. Three day there were parts of or whole streets flooded and we came home wet. So that was super fun! The worst one was on Saturday. We got on the ônibus right as it started pouring. And then it dumped for probably almost 45 minutes. We were pulling into the bus station, but all the cars in front of us were turning around and we couldn´t see why, until we reached the intersection. The four-way stop was literally full of water. In the deepest part there was probably a foot and a half-two feet of water. And the bus went for it! We made it through just fine, but it was crazy! And then a road behind our apartment flooded up to people´s knees! It was crazy stuff! It made me grateful for the road we live on and that we don´t really have to deal with it too bad. But man, there was a lightning storm while it was raining and it was legit. I was watching it the whole time in the bus and then for like half an hour at home. I tried to take a video of it, and I got a couple good ones, but my camera had a meltdown and deleted some of them...sorry, no cool lightning videos.

Yesterday we had two of our less actives at church with us!!!! One of them we had basically given up on visiting because she wasn´t keeping any of her commitments, but she came to church!!! Crazy stuff!! And the other is Ygor, the young man we have been working with. He had a member asking him about a mission, and we are trying so hard to help him get ready to serve...not sure if he wants to yet or not, but we are trying.

What else...well, Alvaro, our "atheist" investigator turned out to not be so atheist. We went and taught him and his family yesterday about God, and it was actually a really good, really awesome lesson. We started by asking everyone who they thought God is and then they started asking us questions like where He is. We asked them what sort of state they thought he was in...physical body, spirit, energy, etc. We got the answer energy/spirit from them. We had the chance to explain using Genesis 1:26-27 that man was created in the image of God, which must mean that God has a body of flesh and bone. And now they believe in God, that we are His children, that we are created in His image, that He has a body of flesh and bones, and that the Godhead are three separate beings!!! It was so cool! And Alvaro prayed at the end of the lesson! And it was such a beautiful prayer and the spirit was so strong. It was seriously amazing! And he and the young man said they would come to church on Sunday! 

So...I am not a fan of knocking on doors. It has not been effective for me so far and I feel lke our time could be used better or more effectively a lot of the times...so I avoid it. Which is awful. Learn from my mistakes. I have repented haha, but seriously,  I don´t like doing it. But we made a goal this transfer to knock on ten doors a day. We are tryng our best, but we don´t always get to it. But one day this week, we had a huge gap of time with nothing to do, so we went and knocked four streets of doors. We made 13 contacts. And I realized that knocking doors can be fun! You might not enter every house you knock on, but you are planting seeds, and I have begun to realize how important that is in missionary work. 

We had a zone meeting this week! I swear half of our zone is Americans, which is super fun! But it was so good. We talked about How to Begin Teaching, and I learned so stinking much! The way you begin teaching is everything as a missionary. Your first few minutes with an investigator are the most important, and it is so true! Even as a member. The example we set as members is so important because people will reflect the way we act on the church. The impression they have of us will bias the impression they have of the church almost every single time. 

What else...random tidbits. I met a german this week. And could barely understand him when he first started talking..he was speaking Spanish, but by the end I could understand him almost perfectly. 

So...I had a fun experience this week. With a massive hairball. 
I was taking a shower and the shower was not draining well at all. I waited until the water left and then went in to try and unclog it with a fork. The cap of the drain came off and the water inside was black. Waited some more for the water go down, put a plastic grocery sack over my hand and arm and got to stick my arm down the drain. I pulled out a wad of hair literally the size of the mini soccer balls and volleyballs that are meant for display...roughly the size of a double fist. It was awful and the smell was terrible. I think that was the first time I ever unclogged a drain...I was gagging. Ah it was terrible...but Sister Ogle thinks it will help me later in life when I am a mom..hahaha.

Well, what else can I tell you? 
I had a cool experience in church yesterday. I had been thinking about the song I stand all amazed and we ended up singing it in Sacrament, but the words are different and have a bit of a different meaning than they do in English. It still talks about how Christ gave His life for us, but it made me think about it in a different way, made me understand the humility of the act a little more. sorry this probably doesn´t make a lot of sense. I will have to translate it into English for you one day. 

Well, sorry for my scatterbrainedness. But that´s kind of how my week was, scattered, and random, and crazy! 

Hope things are going well with all of you! 
Love you all! 
Sister Wilkins


No comments:

Post a Comment